Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder marinated in Achiote, Orange Juice and Garlic.
- 1 x Medium sized pork shoulder, skin removed;
- 1 x Whole Bulb of Garlic, peeled
- 2 x White Onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g Achiote Paste (PAS203)
- 1 x Cinnamon Stick, dry roasted (HSP011A)
- 4tsps Cumin Seeds, dry roasted (HS255)
- 1tsp Allspice, ground (HS274)
- 5 x Cloves, dry roasted (HSP026)
- 2 x Dried Ancho Chillies, dry roasted and soaked in hot water (CHL53)
- 3 x Fresh Bay Leaves, chopped
- 2tbsp Mexican Oregano (HS267)
- 200ml Orange Juice (JCE018)
- 50ml White Wine Vinegar (VIN63)
- 3tbsp Olive Oil (OIL14A)
- 1tbsp Salt (CON50)
- Dry roast all the spices and grind to a powder.
- Blitz with all the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Coat the pork in the marinade, (reserving about 1/8th to use once the pork is cooked) and marinade for 24 hours.
- Slow cook the pork, covered with foil, until nice and tender.
- Remove from the oven and pull.
- Mix in the small amount of reserved marinade along with some of the cooking juices and keep warm until required.